Dr. Eric Vogel 1950-2015
Dr. Vogel passed away on Nov.15, 2015. In 2011, just a week after running his 10th marathon, he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma of the jaw. That was a difficult day for him and his family, but he faced the challenge with determination and faith. Over the next four years he suffered through long hard surgeries, severe radiation, 6 regimens of chemotherapy, experimental treatments, and a major recontruction surgery to repair the damage the radiation caused to his face. He never complained and never blamed Heavenly Father. During this time he still worked and continued to work at his clinic for the homeless. He spent time with his family and enjoyed his new granddaughter. We miss him in our practice every day.
With over 20 years of experience, Dr. Eric Vogel has built a reputation for excellence in dentistry and patient care. Dr. Vogel believes in providing his patients with the same quality of care that he would like to receive himself. That has become his office mission statement. He can often be heard saying, "If you were my mom I would..." The effectiveness of this care is evident in his patient loyalty and referrals.
KNOWING YOU AND YOUR NEEDS
One of the things Dr. Vogel loves about being a dentist is getting to know and becoming friends with his patients. He feels that it is important to have health care workers that will listen and take the time to get to know you and understand your dental needs. Dr. Vogel treats his patients as people, not procedures.
STAYING CURRENT WITH ADVANCES IN DENTISTRY
The practice of dentistry continues to change as techniques and materials improve. Dr. Vogel believes in life long learning and takes over 50 hours of continuing education courses each year. Through these courses he has acquired the necessary knowledge and skills to achieve excellence in implant surgeries, cosmetic dentistry, bone and gum grafting, sinus repositioning and full mouth rehabilitation. He also takes courses on the latest materials, to make your restorations feel great and last as long as possible.
OUTSIDE THE OFFICE
Dr. Vogel and his wife JoLynne have been happily married since 1983. They have 8 children, who they love spending time with. Dr. Vogel speaks fluent Spanish and speaks low to intermediate levels of Russian, Chinese and French (he continues to study these languages).
He enjoys running and has run many marathons, including a 50 mile ultra marathon. He also enjoys biking, swimming, gardening and camping. He serves as president of the Share a Smile Foundation.
EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- Doctor of Dental Surgery from Creighton University 1988
- Member of the American Dental Association & the Utah Dental Association
- Former President of the Provo District Dental Society
- Fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry. This organization focuses on the highest standards of continuing education.
- Fellow of the Academy of Dentistry International since 2007. The academy's membership is limited to dentists who have demonstrated excellence in their careers.
- Delegate to the Utah Dental Association since 1997, which is a policy- making body for the state dental association
- Part-time professor of BYU, teaching Pre-dental and tooth carving courses.
- Co-developer of the Aribex Nomad, a hand held x-ray unit.
- President of the Share a Smile Foundation.
- Clinical Research Foundation (CR Foundation) evaluator since 2000. This group of 400 dentists worldwide research and review new dental products for efficacy.
- Utah AGD Dentist of the Year awarded in 2010 for excellence in Dentistry and Service in the Community
- Utah dental association life time service award for 2007. This is the highest award given by the dental association.
- LDS Academy of dentists humanitarian award for 2007, recognizing outstanding service among academy dentists.
- Brigham award for 2006. Given by Brigham Young University for outstanding service among faculty members. This was one of only six awards given annually.
- Presidential bronze and silver service awards for 2005. Awarded by President George W. Bush for service given.
- Honored alumni Brigham Young University for 2004. Given for recognition of excellence by the Department of Biology.
- National points of light service award 2004, awarded by President George W. Bush.
- State Points of light service award 2003, given by Governor Leavitt of Utah.
- Scouting second miler award 1999. Given for outstanding service by the Boy Scouts of America.
- Member of the International College of dentists.
- Fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy.
- Peer review editor for the Magazine General Dentistry.
- Health Care Heroes Award for community preventative outreach 2012 recognizing excellence, innovation and achievement for health care in Utah.
- State Points of light service award, awarded by Governor Leavitt of Utah.
- Faculty member of SPEAR dental group.
- Meritorious award in community preventative dentistry 2004 by the American Dental Association.